(urth) Appearances of Inire

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Tue Jun 29 09:21:00 PDT 2010

On 6/28/2010 10:22 PM, Ryan Dunn wrote:
> Jeff,
>
> Just pointing out, that Gurloes's book is likely printed on both sides, which means one half of one side of one sheet = 4 families per page.

'It gives about half a page to each. There are seven hundred and forty-
six pages.'

Unless Gurloes is like Rainman, he got the page count from the last
numbered page. Traditionally there is one numbered page on either side
of a leaf. But whatever a "page" is, there are 746 of them, and each one
can only have two halves, so the accommodated number of families remains
approx 1500.

Ordinarily I wouldn't bother digressing on this, but it does establish
something of a maximum degree of precision for figures given in the
book, and I'm warming up to a new estimate on the Wall's height based on
Ouen's comments where it might be important.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >