(urth) Appearances of Inire

Ryan Dunn ryan at liftingfaces.com
Mon Jun 28 21:02:43 PDT 2010

On Jun 28, 2010, at 11:43 PM, Roy C. Lackey wrote:

> And how would being a famous painter two generations before Severian's time
> have furthered the coming of the New Sun?
>
> How would probing a lake for forty years looking for the body of Severian's
> grandmother have helped? Where did Inire find the time, since he was the Old
> Autarch's vizier during those years? Not to mention that the old boatman
> died but Inire was still there as Severian's vizier for another ten years.

Do you disagree then that Inire appears to us in any form during the course of the books?

I never thought the boatman was Inire, btw. But the boatman seems to be the same man at Gyoll who asks Roche (?) whether Severian mentioned a woman after his drowning.

Rudesind could be Inire, in order to get Severian to Ultan.

Not sure about Fechin (maybe too deep for me).

But why go to the trouble to make a point of a character having monkey-like qualities, which is clearly how Inire is described (at least second or third hand)?

Regarding Ossipago, he may/may not be Inire. I do however suspect he and Palaemon are of the same ilk if not the same being outright.

...ryan