(urth) Appearances of Inire

John Watkins john.watkins04 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 18:36:54 PDT 2010

Well, as Dan Rabin pointed out on this list, Severian implies pretty
strongly in Autarch that he knows Inire was the uturuncu:

"We even know that your master was with us in the jungles of the north,
where he tried until it was too late to rescue my predecessor."

If that's right--if we were supposed to pick up that the bent old shaman in
the jungle was Inire--then we're pretty directly being challenged to reread
the text from the beginning looking for the guy (and to question whether
Severian's "perfect" memory is consistent with Inire's stalking.)  I buy
motifs, and I buy red herrings, but I don't buy that there's that broad clue
and a million monkeylike references without there being at least a little
fire.