(urth) Appearances of Inire

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Mon Jun 28 13:28:55 PDT 2010

David Stockhoff wrote:
> But I agree with what I think is your skepticism: there is the principle
> of conservation of characters, but this is overapplication. At this
> rate, anyone (male) could be Inire after several hundred years, even
> Severian if he works on his tan.

Why limit Inire to male characters? If he can be a fraking robot (Ossipago)
and monkey his way up Agia's family tree (which, according to some, makes
him related to Severian), and be both dead characters (Boatman, Maxellindis'
uncle) and living ones, a change of gender is no obstacle. And since
Severian only screws his relatives, by logical extension "All You Zombies"
is us and we are Inire, but we are not alone.

-Roy