(urth) Someday they'll want us.

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Thu Jun 24 06:04:27 PDT 2010

On 6/24/2010 6:12 AM, Gerry Quinn wrote:
> "Someday they'll want us" is the last line of _The Fifth Head of
> Cerberus_, written three years after the narrator's release from prison.
> The subject, clearly, is Phaedria and her child. Who are the "us" of the
> example?
>
> I have sometimes heard the phrase used where "us" means the singular
> "me", but I do not think it fits the narrator's education and speech
> patterns.
>
> The narrator's known family at this time consists of only Mr. Million,
> and David, who lives in another city. Are we to infer that he has
> already created a 'Number 6' clone?

  He may mean all the clones to come, as he is inextricably on the same
track as Maitre and his predecessors. He's also probably lying to
himself, but at the same time leaving a written record for his posterity
to read after they have done away with his generation or otherwise
failed to learn from his example in his lifetime.

I wonder if this also an ironic commentary on the youth counter-culture
of the time.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >