(urth) The Simplest Definition of an Aquastor?

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Wed Jun 23 09:35:26 PDT 2010

> Hello,
>
> I have been trying to define for myself how Malrubius and Triskele (and
> other aquastors) are portrayed in the "real world" of Urth. Without
> sparking an entire dissertation, could someone confirm if this is about
> right?

They are like the tactile holograms in various media, particularly the
doctor from Star Trek Voyager. They can appear just to one person
mentally, or they can be objectively visible, and they can have temporary
substance, leaving footprints, breathing in and out, and giving off body
heat or even fighting and wounding real people. Aquastors can appear and
disappear pretty much at any time, and they might or might not remember
from appearance to appearance as the controller of their projecting
machinery dictates.

An eidolon is an aquastor made with access to a living or once living
original. It can thus have the original person's memories and free will.
If one lasts long enough, it can assimilate enough real matter through
eating and drinking to sustain itself without the hidden machinery. (This
happens to Severian more than once.)