(urth) Is Agia a robot?

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Fri Jun 18 05:38:11 PDT 2010

I'm a little baffled by this. Of course there is a natural explanation
for the aureole---what would you expect?

Perhaps "At that moment I realized that Agia and Agilus were holy in
their unity, because they wore a halo like that of the saints in my
little book. They were like gods. I kneeled to them and prayed and said
a few Hail Maries for good measure"?

Does Severian also describe every natural phenomenon he sees?

"Chapter XVII: The sky seemed to be releasing a liquid very much like
water. Was it in fact rain?"

"Chapter XXI: The sun covered the ground with a substance very much like
the light I used to see during the day when I was a boy."

"Chapter XXII: The substance I breathed into my lungs as I walked to
Saltus seemed like a familiar mix of breathable gases."

I could go on.