(urth) Is Agia a Robot?

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Thu Jun 17 00:22:29 PDT 2010

On 6/17/2010 1:54 AM, Ryan Dunn wrote:
> So I was re-reading Shadow, and noticed something I had previously
> written off...
>
> "I slapped her wrist, perhaps harder than I should, and she flew at me,
> clawing for my eyes as Thecla used sometimes to do when she could no
> longer bear the thoughts of imprisonment and pain. I pushed her away -
> not into a chair this time but against the wall. *Her head struck the
> stone, and though it must have been padded by her abundant hair, the
> sound was as sharp as the tap of a mason's hammer.*"
> (Shadow of the Torturer, Chap. 29, Agilus)
>
> That last line. Her head hitting the stone. The tap of a mason's hammer
> would be very tinny and unusual of a human skull, don't you think?
>
> Am I reading into this line too much, or might this be a clue as to the
> nature of these odd twins and their masks upon masks?

Perhaps she has a plate in her head? Sev's comments on Jonas indicate
that functional prosthetics are not particularly remarkable in the
Commonwealth.

Or she could just have a sturdy, thick skull that makes a dull clicking
noise like this mason's hammer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_LAumupL2U&feature=related

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at