(urth) Wall of Nessus

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Wed Jun 16 22:34:09 PDT 2010

On 6/16/2010 6:24 AM, Jeff Wilson wrote:
> On 6/16/2010 12:47 AM, Ryan Dunn wrote:
>> And here's the quote, which was referenced earlier...
>>
>> "...just as that smallest and uppermost sail was an entire continent
>> of silver, compared to which the mighty Wall of Nessus, a few leagues
>> in height and a few thousand long, might have been the tumbledown
>> fence of a sheepfold..." (Urth of the New Sun, Chap. XIV "The End of
>> the Universe")
>
> And yet, Severian was able to cross this continent within a shift worth
> of air, as I said to IIRC Roy the last time this came around. There's
> just no consistent detail on the size of the Wall.

I recall that the green Lune is said to be 50,000 leagues away, which we
have generally taken to mean 150,000 miles and indicate that it has
moved closer somehow. Maybe instead, the units conversion error is in
the past of urth, in all or in part, so that learned people of
Severian's time are parroting an error made popular by some respected
historian and "G.W." is caught up in it as well.

This could mean that the Wall's dimensions are overestimated by a factor
of 5:3, which is still pretty big, or it could mean that a measurement
that G.W. has chosen to translate as "league" has different meanings or
different idioms for measurements in space than for measurements on the
ground, or for vertical height vs length.

(It also occurs to me that if the moon's orbit hasn't changed, it's
gravity and natural lack of atmosphere probably haven't either. In fact,
the low gravity and lack of weather make it an ideal candidate for being
largely domed over, similar to the Botanical Gardens.)

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >