(urth) Wall of Nessus

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Tue Jun 15 01:47:43 PDT 2010

On 6/14/2010 11:39 PM, Jerry Friedman wrote:
> A great image, but if you're going to overhunt waterfowl, shooting them when they're flying low or walking or swimming is a lot easier.
>
> I'm no expert, but I think that in our universe, aristocrats have been in the forefront of conservation of the species they like to hunt.  It's the species that the poor can kill for food or money, or the ones people see as threats (e.g., to livestock), that get hunted to extinction.

That's at odds with Wolfe's worldiews and other stories from the period,
like "Beautyland". He considered/considers non-Christian societies to be
tainted and given to cruelty, and we know exultant debutantes like their
kicks vicious. They already have to keep the flyers tethered way up
there, what fun to throw some bread out the hatch until you've got lots
of the buggers waiting to be zapped.

Then again , there are some number of hungry folk who come into
possession of energy weapons in the course of any number of wars, and
their line-of-sight range may indeed make high flight a survival liability.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >