(urth) Wall of Nessus

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 06:35:40 PDT 2010

>> The Ship, said that the Wall was "a few leagues in height and a few
>> thousand
>> long" (p-103). Bah! That's a Big Dumb Object.
> At one point in URTH Sev, going on about the size of the mirrored
> sails on
>
> Too big.  I prefer to maintain my original assumption that the Wall is
> of ordinary height and Severian made a typo.

One obstacle with the "several leagues" description is that that would
make the wall at *least* 4.5 miles high. That's the height of the
Himalayas -- not Everest but the higher peaks in the range. Meanwhile, I
think it is safe to presume that the citadel is not far above sea-level.

Someone recently mentioned this quote by Severian:

"No. I've spent my life so near the middle of the city that the Wall was
no more than a dark line on the northern horizon when we looked from the
glass-roofed room at the top of our tower. I am astounded, I admit."
SHADOW XXXV

What would the radius of the city need to be for a wall of that height
to disappear beyond the horizon at ground level?

J.