(urth) heartburn was: Re: travelling north

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Sun Jun 13 17:00:05 PDT 2010

On 6/13/2010 4:48 PM, Roy C. Lackey wrote:
> Jeff Wilson quoted and wrote:
>>> Obviously it would be bad for the newly-created eidolon, because he
> would
>>> cease to exist. That eidolon walked the Corridors to get back to Ushas,
>>> where he eventually penned his second manuscript, the account we are
> reading
>>> of how he came to be in that tomb.
>>
>> Why couldn't the eidolon stay at the stone town and the strangled meat
>
> The strangled meat didn't know what the eidolon knew; all that had just been
> learned from BF&O in the tomb. The eidolon had to get away from him or die.

okay - so there seems to be a fairly short distance limit on BFO's
method of branching off an eidolon, so normally they are only made of
dead people for practical and safety reasons (poor badger!).  Severian
has a habit of coming back from the dead, so they want to make the
eidolon and send him on his way before the light of the White Fountain
revives the strangled body and causes a merger hazard. Sound right so far?

So...why do they wait until the White Fountain's light is almost there,
instead of showing up a week early?  Perhaps because the new eidolon
still needs the White Fountain's light to enter the Corridors of Time
again? And they don't know for sure that the WF will revive the
strangled meat, and they can't spare a week farting around the Stone
Town keeping Sev from getting strangled again, so they cut it close,
hoping the anxiety at escaping horrid death and being faced with it
again almost immediately will motivate Severian to head back uptime
right away?

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >