(urth) Wall of Nessus

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Fri Jun 11 05:31:22 PDT 2010

The flood wall theory does not explain the soldiers (either their
presence or their location) in Severian's day.

One thing has not been addressed. Presumably there has been social and
political decay since Typhon's time, as the Commonwealth shrank from
near-global (correct?) to almost a city-state. This is all you really
need to know to explain the Wall and the curtain wall, whether one
approaches it from a rational or a thematic perspective. The identity of
a few individual enemies is not important; the people and aristocracy of
the Commonwealth, such as they are, have always been at least potential
enemies of the state. Typhon was probably at least somewhat paranoid anyway.

The Wall suggests ancient Greece and the Dark Ages and Byzantium;
therefore it is intended to suggest ancient Greece and the Dark Ages and
Byzantium, pointing both to Earth's future/deep past and to its
historical counterpart(s).