(urth) travelling north

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 8 08:53:17 PDT 2010

I think Wolfe has confirmed that his geographic model for the Commonwealth
was South America and I think Nessus as Buenos Aires. But I think he also
has said that his inspiration for the governmental forms were Byzantine.

Buenos Aires is not known for a complete surrounding wall but Byzantium was.
An elaborate double wall formed from the earlier Severin Wall surrounded by
the later Constantinian Wall. Plus it had many formally named gates such as
Xerolophus, Prodromos and Melantius, etc.

I consider it possible that we are not meant to strain too hard to discern
the practical purpose of the wall but rather to recognize the historical
reference.