(urth) Travelling North aka miscellaneous thoughts on Wolfe

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Mon Jun 7 10:31:15 PDT 2010

On 6/7/2010 11:14 AM, James Wynn wrote:
> I guess I thought that Yesod was a megauniverse with Briah being
> equivalent to a planet within it? Is that wrong?

Briah is a universe very much like our own, with lots of galaxies. All
we see of Yesod is a huge planet-like mechanism that supposedly has an
island or group of islands for each inhabited galaxy or group of
galaxies in Briah. This makes the Yesod universe still pretty small
compared to Briah, or it could be that The Ship is just very accurate in
where it emerges into the higher dimension.

The Yesodis show they are able to open peep-holes into Briah, and in
fact that is how Severian returns to our universe by leaping through one
to join The Ship "after" it has left without him. I say "after" with the
quotes becuase some of the people on The Ship are younger than he
encountered them before, and it famously arrives a thousand years before
he first boarded it.

This peep-hole between the dimensions is described as moonlike in
appearance, just as the dimensional apperature where The Ship entered
Yesod was. This was the basis for my pet theory that the Whorl could
have been secretly diverted by the Yesodis to just about anywhere in
Briah's space or time, allowing Blue and Green to be Urth and Lune
PLANET OF THE APES-style, but that's largely fallen by the wayside now.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >