(urth) traveling north

Jane Delawney jane_delawney at sky.com
Sun Jun 6 17:30:20 PDT 2010

Thanks Roy, however I'm still wondering a little, because of the
frequently stressed similarity in terms of materials between the City
Wall and the Citadel wall. While the City Wall is obviously a great deal
more sophisticated than that of the Citadel (the City Wall is large
enough to contain barracks for both human and alien soldiers, weapons
emplacements, and presumably much more besides - it seems to be a 'city'
of sorts in itself) the *materials* of which these walls are composed
are very similar and must have been constructed using similar levels of
technology.

And the City Wall of Nessus is incontestably far far to the North
(Severian's north :) ) of the Citadel, at Severian's time - yet the
technology to build such a structure  has not existed for millennia,
indeed given the (apparent?) comparative levels of technology displayed,
the City Wall could as well have been built *before* the wall of the
Citadel as after.

I guess the question is whether you believe the curtain wall of the
Citadel represents an earlier version of the extreme high tech that
build the Wall of Nessus, or whether the Citadel wall is a decadent
version of the City Wall, built in the same unsmeltable metal but with a
lower level of sophistication.

regards

JD