(urth) traveling north

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Sat Jun 5 21:51:46 PDT 2010

On 6/5/2010 7:57 PM, Jane Delawney wrote:

> And so on. Of course at this point Jonas diverges into a tale which
> sounds like a fairy-story or legend, and it's entirely possible that the
> whole statement is such a tale, that the reference to the 'citadel in
> the north' is storytelling, and not related to the (subcreated)
> 'reality' of Urth. But Jonas is a survivor of ancient times and at base
> a machine, not a human; this is in addition 'the only tale (he) knows -
> or nearly so'. Do robots tell fairy stories?
>
> In Wolfe, they probably do :) However this entire passage gives me pause.

In Wolfe, a "robot" is often the most or the only reliable source of
information. The can go wrong or be fed bad data, but they generally
seem free of motivation to lie, though for this purpose you'd have to
rule out the recorded personalities on the Whorl.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >