(urth) Travelling North aka miscellaneous thoughts on Wolfe

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Fri Jun 4 15:21:14 PDT 2010

On 6/4/2010 4:29 PM, brunians at brunians.org wrote:
> OK, it's not obvious.
>
> Severian doesn't want to leave the Sand Garden.
>
> Why?
>
> What desert might particularly interest Gene Wolfe?
>
> Perhaps Father Inire had a face to face with Jesus during a certain forty
> day period.

If I was in the "Urth preceeds Earth" camp, I might suggest that's why
Sev feels as if he belonged there, standing where Jesus was meant to be.
Or perhaps he merely feels it appropriate as various other prophets have
sought it out, like John the Baptist. In fact, John might be the central
figure of the Urthly NT, managing to get himself crucified instead of
beheaded on that iteration.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >