(urth) Travelling North aka miscellaneous thoughts on Wolfe

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 4 07:53:37 PDT 2010

I like the idea of the presence of Baldanders/Talos rippling through
time and space to affect the dreams of Mary Shelley on Lake Geneva
(or vice versa).

Still there are other Earthly artifacts on Urth which seem to demand
a more substantial connection, most notably in the Jungle Hut. I think
the Jungle Hut actually exists on Earth not Urth, and that Severian has
passed through a portal from one world/universe to the other to get there.
I think Borski identified a historical pair of missionaries who perhaps
form the basis for Robert and Marie. And I suspect the master of portals
on Urth, Father Inire, is found in that hut. We get most of our glimpses
of the mysterious Padre in cowled or masked form but I think in the Hut
we get an all too explicit view of him as buck naked Isangoma.