(urth) traveling north

Eugene Zaretskiy eugene.zar at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 18:00:40 PDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 8:42 PM, Lee Berman <severiansola at hotmail.com> wrote:

> FWIW, my opinion is that Urth is presented as less spiritually
> advanced than Earth, notably lacking two important earthly
> spiritual events, The Flood and the Coming of Jesus. Thus,
> Severian has his roles to play. The Urth we are reading about
> is much older than our current Earth but being stunted in its
> spiritual growth is still troubled by some of the ills which
> plagued our pagan ancestors.

Wasn't the Conciliator the Jesus-like figure? Severian seemed to me to
be very much non-divine. Quite the opposite, he very specifically
comes from a very dark place, and rises to his status as savior.
Severian's respect for the Increate and the sun itself is apparent
early in the book, so I suspect Severian's story was meant to, in
part, show where the spiritual path you claim is lacking leads:
salvation.

Eugene Z
http://blog.eugenez.net