(urth) TSH, Lovecraft

David Duffy davidD at qimr.edu.au
Wed Jun 30 15:28:52 PDT 2010

On Wed, 30 Jun 2010, Jeff Eoff wrote:

> I just finished The Sorcerer's House for the first time.  I searched
> through the list archives and read through most of TSH threads I found,
> but I didn't see any references made to Lovecraft's story "The Dreams In
> The Witch House" (
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_dreams_in_the_witch_house ).  I was
> reminded of it near the beginning of THS.  Perhaps it's just a foil or
> homage by Wolfe, but I find a few parallels.

I thought of it even before reading the book, based on descriptions of the
plot, especially after _An Evil Guest_.  Like so much of Wolfe, I think
there is some allusion, but it is mixed in with so much other stuff, that
it doesn't affect the plotline greatly.  Specifically _tDitWH_ is science
fictional in handling of the dreams, while Wolfe is fantastical, more
dreamlike.

> The inner dimensions of the witch house are unstable, like the
> sorcerer's house.

This more reminds me of the use of this trope in _Peace_.  Although the
Necronomicon does makes an appearance there too.

> Twins abound throughout TSH and I figured that Black's house must be a
> twin to Goldwurm's tower, and that Black must have had a twin himself
> (as some have suggested already).  Someone also mentioned the middle two
> chapters having the same name, which suggests a mirror.

I was reminded of the _the Incompleat Enchanter_, for some reason.

Cheers, David.