(urth) Appearances of Inire

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 30 05:37:33 PDT 2010

Roy-
>Huh. And I thought I might have been too sarcastic.

That is your value Roy! Even in sarcasm and skepticism you
are very helpful as a sounding board. Your comment did force
me to consider the gender aspect of shape changing a bit further.
Improving my personal understanding of Wolfe books is a self-indulgent
exercise but if putting it in print provides food for thought or
fodder for amusement or even derision in others, I am content
with any of that.

In trying to understand an SF story such as this I find it to be more
fiction than science. So I expect metaphor and allusion to have a more
important role than, say, a book on astronomy.  Thus I have trouble with
an argument that a character with the angelic name Tzadkiel is not an angel
but is rather a Hierogrammate. Why not both?

Since Biblical angels are arranged in a tiered hierarchy, why can't hierodules
be lower-tiered angels in our story? For me, Severian's recognition that Father
Inire's portals are a lesser version of Tzadkiel's portals is a way of expressing
the relationship. And I find that recognizing "fallen angels" is essential to my
understanding of this story. But I know that is not the case for everyone.

brunians-
>These guys are not gods. They are angels or fairies or some such.

David stockton did use quotes to address your concern. You are using
the lower-case g for your "gods". Is this not sufficient?

Is it possible that ancient pagans confused aliens/angels (fallen or not)
with gods, fairies, monsters etc.? Or, more to the point, is it worth
considering that Gene Wolfe has explored this possibility in his writing?

[some excerpts from articles about angel heirarchy]-