(urth) Appearances of Inire

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Tue Jun 29 08:59:38 PDT 2010

On 6/28/2010 8:36 PM, John Watkins wrote:
> Well, as Dan Rabin pointed out on this list, Severian implies pretty
> strongly in Autarch that he knows Inire was the uturuncu:
> "We even know that your master was with us in the jungles of the north,
> where he tried until it was too late to rescue my predecessor."
> If that's right--if we were supposed to pick up that the bent old shaman
> in the jungle was Inire--then we're pretty directly being challenged to
> reread the text from the beginning looking for the guy (and to question
> whether Severian's "perfect" memory is consistent with Inire's
> stalking.)  I buy motifs, and I buy red herrings, but I don't buy that
> there's that broad clue and a million monkeylike references without
> there being at least a little fire.

Okay, I can buy that Inire would come out to help the old Autarch in a
matter of life oe death and given his fame and distinctive appearance
that he would be in disguise, but that's an argument for one of them to
be Inire. Just watching/stalking seems to be more than adequately
covered by the aquastors in the field and the zillion servants in the
Citadel and House.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >