(urth) Appearances of Inire

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Mon Jun 28 13:00:05 PDT 2010

> If so, why not suspect two known time-travelers in this text, Severian and
> Inire (in no particular order). What is the endgame for them? To bring the
> New Sun, correct?

Is Inire known to travel in time, himself? Or is he the station master?

IIRC, there are four characters who may travel in time without artifice:
Severian, Juturna, the Green Man, and Tzadkerbell.

There are about five artifices that allow time travel: the Ship, Inire's
mirrors, the various dimensional architectures, the portals in Yesod, and
FB&O's saucer. Despite Inire's association with and mastery of most or all
of these, he's not documented passing through them into other times that I
recall.

(His Botanical Gardens technically reach into other times in other cycles
but there's no opportunity to touch back into Urthly history of future
there I can see.)