(urth) Corundum of the Claw

Matthew Weber palaeologos at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 12:46:18 PDT 2010

I don't think so.  "The mystical Body of Christ" is another way of saying
"the Church"--but not the human institution, or any particular human
institution.  It's what the Book of Common Prayer calls "the blessed company
of all faithful people".

I don't see any reason to disbelieve Wolfe when he tells us that Severian is
intended to be Christian, not Christ.  Like most Christians (including me),
he makes disastrous mistakes, and the few things he gets right are more or
less by accident.

Or Grace--but that's another sermon, innit?

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 12:39 PM, John Watkins <john.watkins04 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Again, me too.  The mystic body of Christ is a pretty broad concept.
> The statement is perhaps identical to the statement that Severian is a
> member of the Order for Seekers of Truth and Penitence.
>
> http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/10663a.htm
>
> On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 3:22 PM,  <brunians at brunians.org> wrote:
> > He has denied him being Christ.
> >
> > He has stated that he is a member of the mystical Body.
> >
> > .

>  But
> >>

> >> Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Gene outwardly denied Severian being
> >> christ-like?
> >>
> >> ...ryan

Matt +

The limbs of a dismembered poet.
Horace [Quintus Horatius Flaccus] (65-8 B.C.), Satires, bk. I [35 B.C.],
satire iv,  l. 62