(urth) Corundum of the Claw

Ryan Dunn ryan at liftingfaces.com
Tue Jun 22 17:52:05 PDT 2010

I just wanted to recall what Severian and Dorcas talk about just after they see the floating building over Nessus...

He tells Dorcas that within the brown book are all the keys of the universe used in the past. One of them is that everything has three meanings: 1) Its practical meaning, 2) the reflection of the world around it, and 3) its transsubstantial meaning (that all objects originate in the Pancreator, and so all must express his will).

Dorcas asks if he means the floating building was a sign, to which he replies everything is a sign.

They walk in silence for some time. As Dorcas posits that the brown book means people have it all backward (that the third is the easiest to find, the first the hardest).

I think this is true especially of the claw, which is what caused the building vision (pelerine's tent?), I think.

...ryan