(urth) Is Agia a Robot?

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Sun Jun 20 18:45:06 PDT 2010

On 6/20/2010 3:14 PM, Jerry Friedman wrote:
> From: António Pedro Marques<entonio at gmail.com>

>> I don't think law or morality has anything to do with her feelings,
> and I think her anger has something to do with Severian's failure to die
> (a point Agilus brought up). It may also have to do with his ability to
> resist her efforts to change his mind. And after Agilus dies, what does
> she have but revenge?

It must seem so unfair that they did everything *right* and they still
end up getting caught because the mark was superhumanly immune to the
invariably fatal avern.

>>> can anyone believe that the twins' usual business was killing
>>> unwary
> travellers in avern duels?
>>
>> Their instant scheme is very striking. Maybe we should imagine that,
> with lots of time on their hands since their shop isn't busy, they've
> talked about what to do if someone brings something valuable in.

Severian believes it is an ongoing scheme, and Agilus does not deny it
when accused of it in his cell.

> Incidentally, if she is a sex robot or a genetically engineered
 > doxy > or some such, it's remarkable that she'd be eking out a living
from the
> costume shop. I suppose if she's an assassin, the shop could be her cover.

They both have beyond poor attitudes, so I could see A&A being dismissed
from whatever service they might have had and forced to get by on their
domestic skils: mending clothes and minding a shop, and titilating sugar
daddies or mammas as the opportunity presents.

Though, there is a possibility that A&A are both: her hasty magical
inscription ties her to the unknown number of faux magicians who oppose
the the advent of the New Sun, and through them to Vodalus'
revolutionaries. This anti-Illuminati conspiracy may have encompassed
them in their searched for a sacred hermaphrodite, and kept them on as
deniable assets, you never know when a ruthless killer will come in handy.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >