(urth) Is Agia a Robot?

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Sat Jun 19 13:28:31 PDT 2010

David Stockhoff wrote:
> No one is saying Agia is a chem.

A link to chems was made, I suppose because chems have metal bodies, which
led to posts about chems and metal heads and black fluid and fiber-optic
wires. That was the only reason I bothered to shoot down the notion that she
and/or Agilus might be chems.

This whole thread began because of one line about the sound her head made
when it struck the stone wall of Agilus's cell. Outside the mine of the
man-apes, Severian had her down on the ground with his boot on her neck.
When she began to struggle again, he rapped her with the flat of his sword.
He doesn't actually say that he struck her head with it, but the blow
quieted her, so that seems most likely. Wherever he struck her with the
blade, he also failed to note any metal-on-metal sound.

Also, as I quoted, he struck her just below the ear with his hand, when they
were in Agilus's cell. If there was anything unusual about the head he
struck, he also failed to note that.

And I see no real connection between Agia and Hethor's lost sex doll.

-Roy