(urth) Is Agia a Robot?

Tom Hopkins topkins at hotmail.co.uk
Sat Jun 19 09:40:10 PDT 2010

Sorry
to intrude upon this interesting theory with what very well may be a pointless
thought, however ignoring the predominate belief about Merryn being Severian's
sister wouldn't she also be a viable case to be Hethors missing paracoitae?

When Severian meets Merryn and the Cumaean just previous to his meeting with
Apu-Punchau, he describes his journey to the Witches Tower as a young
apprentice and his meeting with the two exact same women now before him. In
particular of Merryn he speaks:

"Here face was so lovely and so bloodless that it might have been a mask
carved in ivory by some master sculptor."

Shortly after Merryn's and the Cumaean's true forms are revealed to him and the
description of Merryn seems curious to me unless I am missing some rather
obvious fact, which I admit could well be likely.

"Merryn had collapsed into a black-clad doll, so thin and dim that slender
Dorcas seemed robust beside her. Now that intelligence no longer animated that
ivory mask, I saw it was no more than parchment over bone"

I almost hesitate to mention this as I feel sure I am missing some important
piece of information about why Merryn is perceived this way, however I feel it
is worth mentioning none the less.