(urth) Is Agia a Robot?

Mo Holkar / UKG lists at ukg.co.uk
Fri Jun 18 09:14:15 PDT 2010

At 16:59 18/06/2010, Pedro wrote:
>Ryan Dunn wrote (18-06-2010 16:44):
>>"Women and tailors hold the blade beneath the hand, according to the
>>proverb, but Agia stabbed up to open the tripes and catch the heart from
>>below, like an accomplished assassin. I turned only just in time to
>>block her blade with the shutter, and the point drove through the wood to
>>show a glint of steel. The very strength of her blow betrayed her."
>>
>>(Severian on Agia in SotL, Chap. 15, He Is Ahead of You!)
>>
>>The strength betrayed what? That she was not a woman?
>
>Not necessarily - 'betrayed' as in the way something you rely on ends up
>being counterproductive. In this case, putting her in a
>disavatageous position. Well, I supoose that's a possible reading,
>at least. I don't know, I'm no anglo.

That is my reading -- because her blow was so strong, her knife got
caught in the wood and so Severian was able to wrench it from her
grasp. (And I am an anglo :-)

A few paras above this, she says that she and Agilus "were the same
flesh", which would be a strange expression for a purported robot --
even a lying one.

Mo

# ~ # ~ #

WolfeWiki -- a wiki about Gene Wolfe