(urth) Wall of Nessus

Ryan Dunn ryan at liftingfaces.com
Tue Jun 15 22:47:17 PDT 2010

Mmm. A sooty drumstick sounds delicious. So does an ice cream drumstick.

Sorry to bounce back for a moment here, but...

I've always felt the wall, as described in UotNS, was quite implausible as well.

Using UotNS's quote as canon, Wall of Nessus = 9 miles high by 9,000 miles long.

The stratosphere is about 12 miles up. So 9 miles up is consistent with birds not being able to fly over it (highest bird flight on Earth was a vulture recorded at 7 miles up), but makes for a really hard sell visually.

Also, at 9,000 miles in length, if the Wall were unwrapped it would encompass more than 1/3 of our Earth at the equator.

Another reference... the entirety of Texas's border equals only 3,800 miles.

And here's the quote, which was referenced earlier...

"...just as that smallest and uppermost sail was an entire continent of silver, compared to which the mighty Wall of Nessus, a few leagues in height and a few thousand long, might have been the tumbledown fence of a sheepfold..." (Urth of the New Sun, Chap. XIV "The End of the Universe")

...ryan