(urth) Wall of Nessus

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Mon Jun 14 06:06:57 PDT 2010

From: "Roy C. Lackey" <rclackey at stic.net>
> At one point in URTH Sev, going on about the size of the mirrored sails on
> The Ship, said that the Wall was "a few leagues in height and a few
> thousand
> long" (p-103). Bah! That's a Big Dumb Object.

Too big.  I prefer to maintain my original assumption that the Wall is of
ordinary height and Severian made a typo.

One problem with a wall several leagues in height is that it would be
effectively enclosed as far as the bulk of the atmosphere is concerned;
certainly that part of the atmosphere that carries moisture.  In the absence
of large evaporative surfaces other than the Gyoll - and we are not told of
any huge lakes - I would expect the climate of Nessus to be excessively dry.
It would also be cut off from the general atmospheric circulation, including
weather systems.

I would be surprised if the climate outside the Wall was not so different
from that inside as to be worth remarking upon.  It is true that Severian
does not mention the weather much.  There is fog at the start, I think, and
a violent storm when he visits the stone town.

- Gerry Quinn