(urth) Wall of Nessus

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Mon Jun 14 02:54:03 PDT 2010

On 6/14/2010 2:13 AM, Roy C. Lackey wrote:
> Okay so far. The Citadel was built to defend against the people. But that
> doesn't explain the Wall. In Severian's time, most of the Commonwealth's
> population seems to live *inside* the area circumscribed by the Wall.
> Uncounted millions, anyway, so clearly the Wall was not intended to keep the
> people away from the rulers in the Citadel at the center of the circular
> walled city. It was intended to keep something *out* of the city.

I think it is mad industry to debate the single purpose of the Wall.
Even by the standards of Urthly civilization at its height, it must have
been a tremendous undertaking beyond even an absolute Monarch's pockets
and would have had to serve many purposes for many interested parties to
be accomplished (jobs, defense, prestige, oppression, religion), and
then who knows how many successive ages found other uses for it.

Millions living inside the Wall in Sev's time doesn't mean it wasn't
better able to keep them out in ages previous.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >