(urth) Wall of Nessus

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 12:40:03 PDT 2010

On 6/9/2010 2:47 PM, Roy C. Lackey wrote:
> That section of text also strongly suggests that the
> purpose of the Wall was to resist the mountain-sized monsters in the oceans.
>
> That latter detail may be somewhat at odds with Cyriaca's story, and after
> Typhon was revived on the mountain he speaks as if the monsters in the
> oceans were news to him ("There are powers in the seas now who would rule."
> [SWORD, chap. XXVI] ), but that's the way it goes.

I believe Typhon is doing some Yoda-speak here. He is saying there are
powers in the sea that NOW CONSIDER THEMSELVES RULERS and he'll sort
them out tout de suite. (There's some pattern-matching here with Bill
Reis in AEG.)
Anyway, we know that the monster Scylla at least was around at the time
of the Whorl's launch, because Typhon's daughter conspired with it
against her father.

J.