(urth) Religious writers and audiences

David Duffy davidD at qimr.edu.au
Sun Jun 6 16:15:27 PDT 2010

On Sat, 5 Jun 2010, John Watkins wrote:

> Personally I find the "betrayal" narrative bizarre whenever I hear it.

Re LWW, my opinion of it did fall when rereading when older, and seeing
"through" the plot.  By contrast, I was able to read _The Pilgrim's
Progress_ ignoring any allegorical content ;)

> I know countless people, many of liberal predispositions, who
> have read and allegedly enjoyed The Fountainhead--and Rand is far preachier
> than Lewis, Wolfe, or even Card.  And Neil Gaiman has written about his
> feelings of betrayal as to Lewis's religiousity, but never expressed similar
> feelings toward, for example, Kipling's imperialism.

I quite like the concept that great art needs to have some kind of
underlying complex system of ideas, but that those ideas don't have to be
right to make the artwork successful.  I am quite willing to suspend
disbelief (in every sense of the word), if the story works qua story.  So
I put up with FTL travel, even though it clashes with my religous beliefs.

I think my problem (and that of Gaiman, Pullman etc) with LWW is the
feeling that the setup is too setup: it feels clumsy/arbitrary and so
can't carry all the emotional weight.  The ending of _The Last Battle_ is
more successful, I think.

Just another 2c, David Duffy.