(urth) Religious writers---Tolkien

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Sun Jun 6 11:34:07 PDT 2010

Now that surprises me, if only because I never heard it---and it was only because I never heard it that I assumed otherwise. But perhaps all the great writers of early 20th century Britain were Catholic.

At any rate, what I had in mind, to be honest, had as much to do with music. According to Bill Bruford and others, Britain produces many brilliant musicians because everyone there goes to church, or did in the 1960s, regardless of belief, and, perhaps because there is little else of interest to do, learns music there. No doubt there are other reasons.

At any rate, I believe this general culture of agnosticism nurtures creativity without limiting it. Tolkien could not have been Spanish.

Message: 4