(urth) Religious writers and audiences

John Watkins john.watkins04 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 11:30:36 PDT 2010

Well, just the one.  Atheists by definition reject the existence of a
deity.  Pure reason cannot lead to the conclusion that no such being
exists--at the very best it leads to the conclusion that we can't be sure
whether such a being exists or not.  Any opinion beyond that is, in a sense,
beyond the purview of pure reason.

There are probably many atheists with other views that I might consider
"ultra vires," but you guys don't exactly have a creed, so I'd rather not
lump you together.  And to tell the truth I don't really want to be
embroiled in a religious controversy here--my point is that I think the
rhetorical strategy of some theists to class "atheism" as a "religion"
itself is of limited value, but that I find the rhetorical strategy of some
atheists to class "religion" as a special kind of unwarranted belief about
the universe is a question-begging exercise.  Theists don't believe that the
views of atheists are warranted; if they did, they'd be atheists.