(urth) Religious writers and audiences

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Sun Jun 6 06:24:29 PDT 2010

Well, as I suggested, it was a childish response. I think I regarded
Middle-earth and Narnia etc. as my own personal escape from a mindless
existence in which being dragged (sometimes literally) to church every
Sunday played no small role. So finding that Narnia was no escape at all
but rather, at worst, a trap set by the very people I resisted,
represented exactly the betrayal you might imagine it to be in such
circumstances. (Plenty of literary references I could draw on there...)
On the other hand, I was able to find in Tolkien a fellow resister of
sorts. Thank god for the Church of England and its ingrained
agnosticism! ------------------------------ Message: 5 Date: Sat, 5 Jun
2010 20:01:27 -0400 From: John Watkins <john.watkins04 at gmail.com> To:
Religious writers and audiences Message-ID:
<AANLkTimnooSNDRsyOfnWONyo2U9XNELCmvkUfXuFpZe5 at mail.gmail.com>
betrayed by Doestoevsky? Again, I find it bizarre. I can't imagine
thinking to myself "How dare Author X have different views than me!" I
can imagine thinking "Well, I don't choose to spend time on this," but
not a sense of betrayal per se. On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 7:58 PM, David