(urth) traveling north: imagined geography

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Sun Jun 6 06:17:53 PDT 2010

That's really interesting. I've been pondering the imagined geography of
Middle-earth my entire life, and it's always seemed to me that it is a
re-imagination of the early medieval world projected forward from an
ideal past which itself was projected backward from an early medieval
world distilled from reading way too much medieval literature. It
represents several orders of idealization, in other words. (John Crowley
kind of addresses this literary process in his novella Great Work of
Time.) For example, if there were Irish legends of Western isles of
afterlife, then there were origins to that fact. Since those origins do
not lie in a geographical past, they must lie in an imaginary past---and
by "imaginary" I don't mean "not real" but rather very real: "more real
than real." What did the old bards actually imagine? Tolkien thus
supplanted the historical roots of the romance with his imagined
romantic origins of the romance. And while the Orcs and Easterlings
plainly express the insecurity (fear of absorption of the West by the
East) of Orientalism (perhaps African/Arab and Arab/Asian,
respectively), the relationship is not a simple one; Tolkien didn't
simply say, Hey, I need some scary Mongols and Saracens. Rather, he
said, What's scary about what Europeans feared about the Mongols and
Turks and Saracens? Where did it come from? How to make "sense" of it?
And of course his Orientalism was not a medieval one in the first place,
but a 20th century one. his Orcs are more central than the Easterlings;
who are less "processed" and less interesting. (I don't think we ever
even "see" them; they literally lurk at the far edges of an imagined
map.) Regarding what I mean by "sense": Take as an example the influence
of Blake on the description of goblins in The Hobbit, which contains
language very similar to "satanic mills." ------------------------------
Message: 2 Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2010 18:09:55 -0500 From: Jeff Wilson
<jwilson at io.com> To: The Urth Mailing List <urth at lists.urth.net>
Subject: Re: (urth) traveling north Message-ID:
<4C0AD943.7070304 at io.com> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1;
format=flowed

> > My point remains that around this time (1936 or so) he placed the
> > setting we know as Middle Earth in the literal past, slightly
> > overlapping the historic era, with bloodlines continuing to this day
> > allowing retrogression from our time to that. Things accumulated and by
> > the 70s he was reported saying it was in an imaginary world rather than
> > an historical one.

I cut that loose a bit early. I just now reviewed a BBC interview from
71 and he says:

-- Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com IEEE Student Chapter Blog at <