(urth) traveling north

Jack Smith jack.smith.1946 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 18:24:22 PDT 2010

When Wolfe says the Ascians are the equivalents of Turks, I believe he's
referring to the Ottoman Empire, which was a powerful enemy of Christian
Europe and which nearly overwhelmed the Europeans in the 16th century.   The
Turks conquered the middle east, north Africa, and large parts of Europe.
 They reached the gates of Vienna a couple of times.  Read
Shakespeare's *Othello
*for how the Turks were feared.

Of course the Ottomans were not as totalitarian as the Ascians.   But they
were powerful, well-organized, and different in language and culture.

Best wishes,
Jack

Best wishes,
Jack