(urth) Religious writers and audiences

Pedro Pereira domus_artemis at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 5 11:48:36 PDT 2010

I'm an atheist. Sometimes I do feel here and there a certain morality aspect rising from the books at certain points, but I can't say I ever felt preached to by Wolfe. Plus, I view the character as someone different from me and not necessarily sharing my world views so I can live with that.

Curiously I have more problems with Wolfe's interviews than his books. He is viewing the world from the point of view of a religious person (nothing wrong with that and oviously expected) but sometimes his opinions, specially moral ones, feel to "colored" for my tastes, if you know what I mean. Sometimes I even feel somewhat offended, like when he attributes the "good morals" of the world to the rise of christianity (respect for others, charity, etc) and kind of goes against Islam, giving as example an experience from a friend of his who was at some point in some islamic country, etc. Maybe some of you remember this interview. I felt that it was such a naive and simplistic view of things, and beying an admirer of an obviously very smart person I felt disappointed.

His work, however, never made me feel as an "outsider" (lol), I was always abble to connect with the characters, the story, etc, without feeling that I was reading a book whose main objective was to preach to me through some dissimulated means. I'm also abble to feel the sense of wonder at "revelation", like Silk when he finds the Outsider and so on, even though I'm not religious myself.

I fell in love with Wolfe's prose when I was in my early teens (12 maybe), I had no idea who he was and I had this book called "shadow of the torturer" that I borrowed from an uncle of mine. Even though it was a translation it felt special, unique, and quite different from what I had read before. And then there was the beautifully imagined world, which has no paralel. Even after I discovered that Wolfe's religious beliefs/views played a big part in his work, I never really felt betrayed or dissapointed. I guess it actually made the whole thing more interesting, more "real".