(urth) Urth & Earth (was "Travelling North aka miscellaneous thoughts on Wolfe")

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 14:13:59 PDT 2010

> Typhon and Pas are not the same person.
>
> Pas began as an iteration of Typhon.
>
> Since then they have had seperate histories and are now two persons.

Last September, I sat in a Q&A with Wolfe. The following words (in their
essence, it's been 9 months now) were stated:

Some Guy: "Typhon managed to sort of be on the Whorl in the form of Pas."

Gene Wolfe: "No! Typhon *was* on the Whorl in the form of Pas."

I want to convey how emphatic Wolfe was when he made this correction.

Ergo, Pas is not the Typhon that Severian met and threw off the
mountain, but (as Wolfe sees it) both THAT Typhon and Pas are the Typhon
that created the Whorl.

Just as when Kypris possessed Chenille, she wasn't the Kypris that one
might meet at that moment in a Sacred Window. But she *was* Kypris.

J.