(urth) travelling north

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 21:47:49 PDT 2010

 >>The figurative worlds of Severian and Silk are Gnostic
 >>ones not Judeo-Apostolic ones. Those protagonists act,
 >>and achieve, within their worlds as the Gnostic Christ does.
 >>Not as the Johanine Christ acts.

 >David Stockhoff wrote:
 >Interesting. Can you elaborate on the distinction?
 >(I'm not familiar with the Gnostic Christ's achievements.)

Well, for starters, the Gnostic Christ does not save anyone
individually. He saves mankind as a whole through the example of his
enlightenment. This is closer to the salvation of Silk and Severian than
Jesus. Additionally "the Christ" is merely the male half of God
(although even that term has a somewhat different meaning). With the
female half they form the syzygy of their particular Aeon. This is
Severian and Thecla. Silk and Hyacinth are a retelling of the gnostic
story of Simon Magus and Helena. Helena was the Ennoia who had fallen
into the lower aeons and become trapped in matter. "The Father",
manifesting himself as Simon Magus, "The Son", finds her in a brothel
suffering abuse, and rescues her. There's also Ophis, the serpent, mixed
up in the story. It would difficult, but take fewer words, to detail the
ways that New Sun and Long Son are inconsistant with what we know of the
teachings of  guys like Tatian and Valentinus or the group founded on
their teachings known as the Severians.