(urth) traveling north

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Wed Jun 2 22:39:09 PDT 2010

Jerry Friedman wrote:
> I will tell you the directions don't exclude that possibility.
>
> The line is, "Try to pass through it by day, with the sun over the right
shoulder by morning and later in the left eye."
[snip]
> It's quite clear the Commonwealth is in the Southern Hemisphere: the south
is cold and the north is hot.  I don't see a mistake.  The sun could easily
be more or less east (over Sev's right shoulder) in the morning and more or
less west (in his left eye) later.<

I'm so glad you explained that so I didn't have to. <g>

I will just add this bit from Wolfe in the Larry McCaffery interview done in
November of 1988:

"Incidentally, I also got into trouble with some reviewers over my
presentation of the Ascians, who were my equivalent of the Turks. If you
read the book carefully, it's clear that the action is taking place in South
America and that the invading Ascians are actually North Americans."

http://www.depauw.edu/sfs/interviews/wolfe46interview.htm

-Roy