(urth) more thoughts on Jolenta

Jane Delawney jane_delawney at sky.com
Wed Jun 2 15:22:53 PDT 2010

I'd agree with Jerry here, when Jolenta has died Severian realises that
not only has she been (quite literally!) put under a 'glamor' to make
her believe that she is beautiful, not only has she had hair extensions
and the local equivalent of breast and 'booty' enhancements, but that
there are wires and bands of steel concealed within her flesh. She's
kind of half-woman, half- android. No wonder the Claw had no effect.

jd