(urth) more thoughts on Jolenta

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 2 07:59:29 PDT 2010

I agree with Jane D. (and perhaps Jack Smith?) that Jolenta
is a prime candidate for Severian's twin sister, Severa.
There is just too much veiled mystery about her to dismiss her
as a random floozy in Severian's life.  I
find incestual sex to be a key in identifying all Severian's
female family members. Dorcas of course, but also Aunt Cyriaca
and cousin Agia (desired if not consummated). Thecla, Valeria,
and others remain outside possibilities as relatives.

We also have the mystery of Jolenta's real name and the veiled
revelation of her true hair color. Jolenta has comparable height
to Severian's. We don't know what Jolenta was doing before being
a waitress but we do know she is the same age as Severian. Perhaps
she left her guild around the same time he did. We really don't
know all that witches do, but it is hinted that they have
beautification techniques and perform some sort of sexual activity
with their clients, both compatitble with what we know Jolenta is
open to.

Witches are also associated with resurrection of the dead. Severian
meets a couple witches while carrying a dying Jolenta. They don't
appear to recognized her or care about her, but I wonder about that
coincidence. Was it a random event that the Cumaean and Merryn,
denizens of Nessus, appear in the middle of nowhere in Severian's
path on some unrelated necromancing errand? I suspect the witches'
interest might really be with Severian and his nascent abilities
in resurrection and the possibility of utilizing them in reviving
a dying errant member of their guild.

(I put Jonas' attraction to Jolenta on a par with Don Quixote and
his quest for the love of Dulcinea, or Borat's quest for the love
of Pamela Anderson. Highly eccentric guys who pick an impossible,
unattainable dream for themselves.)