(urth) Where did Abaia go?

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 17 23:02:13 PDT 2010

In my last post under Patera Inire (which has a typo- should start- "I don't agree")
I mention an allegorical answer I think best for explaining how an ocean-bound
creature like Abaia could be destroyed by a flood.

But for those who don't see Judeo-Christianity in this story, I will offer a more
textual explanation. Perhaps Abaia doesn't really live in the ocean. Abaia is the
name for a magical *freshwater* eel in Melanesian mythology. So perhaps
a flood could kill off Abaia simply via contact with salt water.

Abaia's most likely freshwater home would surely be Lake Diuturna. We have the
similarity of the name to Juturna, the daughter-bride of Abaia. We have (perhaps
aspiring megatherian) Baldanders choosing to live near and eventually under the
waters of this lake. The Lake/Island people have their belief in a fish god
beneath the waters. But perhaps the best evidence for the presence of Abaia is
the Lake/Shore people's town which is named "Murene". This Latin derived, Germanic
word basically means "moray eel" (which does include freshwater versions).

(sorry if this idea had been posted before. If so I hadn't seen it)