(urth) Serpents and Undines

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Sat Jul 31 11:03:01 PDT 2010

I wonder, given the way Vodalus talks, if his path isn't almost the
better one. He speaks of the sun hiding the stars that are our proper
heritage, of how his masters wait until humanity is purified, and how
vile are the actions of the Autarch.

So although, yes, one side is nominally "white" and the other nominally
"black" (as Vodalus himself puts it), the outcome seems pretty win-win,
or equal parts lose-lose. Is it surprising the undines help Severian and
Erebus/Abaia don't kill him? Doesn't Vodalus win when Severian is on the
throne, and is not the Commonwealth thus defeated and occupied?