(urth) Fuligin as Black Hole...

John Watkins john.watkins04 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 05:55:13 PDT 2010

Or Gene, like Neil Gaiman and Tim Burton, thinks fair-skin-in-black looks
cool.

If the coloring has some meaning beyond that particular to the torturers'
guild (they torture people and seem to have some connection, literal or
metaphoric, to Catholic priesthood, so are in black), then it must be read
in connection with the robes of argent, the color more white than white,
that Severian is about to put on at the end of Citadel.  So I think a
connection to the old sun and/or its black hole is probably intended.