(urth) Serpents and Undines

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Fri Jul 30 04:46:56 PDT 2010

On 7/29/2010 11:56 PM, Lee Berman wrote:
> The Cumaean shows an obsession with resurrection of the dead and I have a suspicion that she,
> like Inire, takes on a few other guises in the story. Hers serve her in the quest to winnow the
> secret of true resurrection from Severian; a skill even Tzadkiel does not possess.

I think it's a mistake to strongly link the Cumaean to the leech or
Ceryx on the basis of their resurrection fixation - essentially
*everyone* and *everything* in the BOTNS - including the title! - is
connected to death and resurrection in one way or another half-dozen.
Personal resurrection, the resurrection of habits and customs, of races,
and of Urth herself.

It might be shorter to list the elements that *aren't* about
resurrection......I can't think of any off-hand.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >